Friday, February 12, 2010

From Nicki Rhoton

I just love this study. I am so happy that SIS this year is digging into the Epistles. I see clear threads running through this book, those of unity and humility, encouragement in the face of persecution.

1:1-11 Richness of the words used in this passage: thankfulness, joy confident, good work, completion, share, grace, long for, affection, pure, blameless.

1:12-18 Rejoice because Christ is preached, even by those preaching from selfish ambition, or to make Paul's situation worse! Through the ages there have always been people preaching Christ out of selfish ambition, even today!

1:19-26 Am I ready to suffer without fear to be a sign to those who oppose Christ? Am I ready to accept that suffering as a gift?

2:1-4 Humility, humility, humility. We should not be like the people 1:12-18. On the contrary we should do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.

2:5-11 Christ humbled himself while we were still sinners.

2:12-18 Humility theme continued. It is not about us, it is God who is trying to work through us! Do everything without complaining. Then you will be pure and blameless, then you will be able to hand out the word of life. Paul is hoping that his life will be poured out like the drink offering the Jews were told to make daily, morning and evening, to have fellowship with God. Our lives are to be a constant daily act of faith, humbly seeking that fellowship.

2 comments:

  1. I love your commentary, Nicky! Paul's words are so true and applicable today. I often think about the words Paul chose to use (like the words you highlighted from vss. 1-11). They are strong, meaningful words.

    I must admit, if I were writing it, I might stear clear of words like "pure" and "blameless". I would probably choose words like "pretty good". If I wrote Philippians, I might have written, "Try to do most things without complaining or arguing."

    But Paul doesn't mince words when revealing God's expectations for us. His words are clear and powerful, and they compel me to obey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops...I meant "steer clear". Too many vowels on this keyboard. My fingers get confused.

    ReplyDelete

blog background

Followers