Wednesday, February 10, 2010

From Diana Young

When I was reading through the print out of Philippians that we all got in our envelopes (from the NIV), it caught my attention that Paul says, "...and I may have less anxiety." (Phil 2:28) Wait a minute! Paul is anxious? He's the one that wrote the well known verse, "BE ANXIOUS FOR NOTHING, but in everything by prayer and supplication..." (Phil 4:6). I knew that couldn't be right, so I looked into it. The New King James uses the word "sorrowful" in 2:28 instead of "anxious". And, even better, the original Greek word used in 2:28 is literally translated "grief". That makes a lot more sense to me. Paul felt grief and sorrow, not anxious.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Diana for finding that. Translation can make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete

blog background

Followers