Monday, January 25, 2010

From Lea Sims

I grabbed a cup of coffee and my Bible while the kids were still sleeping. What a way to start the day. It only took me 15 minutes to read the entire letter of Philippians. There were so many familiar thoughts: the Gospel advancing because of Paul's chains and he rejoices, Christ's humility and willingness to come down for us, Paul had reason to boast in the flesh but considers it loss for Christ, press on to the goal and Paul had not attained it yet, "whatever is pure, noble, holy ...". Reading it in one sitting makes me wonder what the connection is between these and other thoughts he wrote. Now I have something to meditate on today.

3 comments:

  1. Please fill me in on what I am supposed to do for this "homework". I do not understand the photocopy thing etc. I'm sure if I had been at the "sis" meeting this month I would know, but I enjoyed my last chance to fellowship with Rebecca before her next term at Art Center started and now she is once again MIA!!

    One of the points that stood out to me is: Regardless of another's reason for preaching Christ whether selfish ambition even if not sincere or with false motives....Paul said it doesn't matter because Christ is being preached! In fact, he rejoiced! What a lesson to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa: Not sure if anyone has responded to your home work question yet, but thought I'd give it a shot. In the front, inside cover of the notebook, Jenny placed four suggestions for study methods throughout the month. One suggestion was to break the chapter down, paragraph, by paragraph, and Alicia and Jenny provided those paragraph breakdowns, by grouping the verses, in the notebook. But, another suggestion was to photo copy the chapter (or use the "letter" that Lea handed out at church, and do an inductive type of study by going through the photocopy of the book and highlighting/circling words that seem to be used repetitively, ideas and thoughts/themes that seem to jump out at you, etc. It's just a "what am I seeing going on in the book" or "are there any patterns developing" between the chapters, kind of study.

    Hope that helps. Love it that you're blogging!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great explanation of the photocopy worksheet method of study, Jean!

    Lisa - let's meet quickly after services on Sunday and I can show you what I'm doing. Everyone does their method a little differently.

    ReplyDelete

blog background

Followers