Tuesday, May 4, 2010

From Amy (soon-to-be Jackson) Quinliven :)

Dearest sisters,

I hope everyone is having a great week! I really enjoyed reading our letter for I Timothy. It's amazing how just taking the verse numbers out of the letter made the read more clear to me and made me feel as though I was reading a true snail mail letter. Although I value the purpose of verse numbers, this method really helped me remember more. This first comment is more to get feedback from my sisters because I have a few questions.

After reading this (1st page, 2nd to last paragraph) "Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked their faith. Among them are Hymenacus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme."

Question 1: Does anyone know more history on Hymenacus and Alexander? It says that they were "handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme." Did they learn their lesson and come back to God. Or rather, did God receive them back after they learned their lesson? I'll do some searching while I wait for some responses.

Question 2: On page 2 (2nd paragraph) Paul says "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent..." How do we as women in the church know our boundaries when this passage is so firm as to our position in the church? I know that many stories have been documented in the bible of great women who have dome wonderful things in the church. Can anyone give me more scriptures to help me with this one? Can anyone expand on this? Thanks :)

Ok sistas ... that's it for now. Thanks for your help! Can't wait to learn more.

Love,
Amy

1 comment:

  1. Well here I am commenting on my comment. :) The weekend that I sent Jenny this message to post, our Sunday a.m. class hit on this subject. I thought that was a bit ironic. And then yesterday I went to Saddleback church with Brennan's mom and it was a more in depth study on this subject. It was as though God prepared the lesson just for me! God is so good :) It's simple, we're to play a huge role in alot of the background stuff that happens. We're a HUGE part of the body and can make the family shine with just our helping hands. There is so much that we can do!

    ReplyDelete

blog background

Followers